Rush hour driving is a way of life for many people, as you have no choice but to be on the road during the busiest times of the day.
If this sounds familiar, it's important to adjust your approach to lessen the risk of an accident.
Here are a few rush hour driving safety tips to keep in mind:
- Leave yourself enough time to reach your destination, so you aren't in a hurry when behind the wheel
- Look into alternate routes that may not be as crowded
- Follow other vehicles with caution, making sure you never get too close
- Defensive driving is a must
- Keep an eye out for aggressive drivers and avoid them at all costs (this is common in rush hour traffic)
- Stay in your lane, as jumping from one to the other (and back again) is not going to save you much time
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times, as any distraction can cause an accident
It's not always easy to follow these tips in rush-hour traffic, as there is a lot going on around you. Furthermore, your patience may be thin as you want nothing more than to reach your destination.
If you are part of a rush-hour traffic accident, move your car to the shoulder of the road and call 911 as quickly as possible. Remain where you are until police and an ambulance arrive at the scene. At that point, you can receive the medical treatment you need. Once you are stable, it then makes sense to focus on the cause of the accident, how to make an insurance claim and your legal rights.
Source: Bolt Insurance Agency, "Safety Tips for Driving During Rush Hour," accessed May 29, 2018