Serving Bucks County and Surrounding Areas
P: 215-348-2605
Goldman Law Offices

Custody Relocation

Planning to move to a new residence? Before signing a lease or agreement of sale for the new residence, you should review any Pennsylvania order that governs the custody of your children to determine whether the move would be considered a "relocation" by the court.

Not every move requires approval of court. If a parent plans to move to a new residence that does not make the current custody arrangement impractical, court approval is not usually required. However, once a decision is made to move to a location that would significantly interfere with the ability of the other parent to exercise custodial rights, a child may relocate with that parent only if the other parent (and any other person who has custody rights to the child) consents to the proposed relocation or the court approves the proposed relocation. Every person who has custody rights to the child must be notified by certified mail, return receipt requested no later than 60 days before the intended move unless the need to relocate was not known in sufficient time to comply with the 60 days' notice requirement. Among other information, the notice must include a proposal for a revised custody schedule and a counter-affidavit for the non-relocating person to file with the court indicating consent or objection to the move and consent or disagreement to the proposed custody schedule.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Goldman Law Offices

90 E. State Street
Doylestown, PA 18901

Phone: 215-348-2605
Fax: 215-348-5247
Doylestown Law Office Map