The thought of being hit by a motor vehicle is enough to make you cringe, as you know this will almost always result in serious injury or death. For this reason, you should do whatever you can to prevent trouble as a pedestrian.
You should also learn more about the most common causes of vehicle-pedestrian accidents, which include the following:
- Disregarding traffic conditions, such as driving too fast during rush hour in a busy city
- Distracted driving, including texting, talking on a cellphone and adjusting a GPS system
- Failure to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks
- All forms of reckless driving
- Disregarding weather conditions, such as neglecting to slow down when it's raining
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy driving
It's important to understand these common causes of pedestrian accidents, but there's something you need to know: You can't stop a driver from making one or more of these mistakes.
As a pedestrian, the best thing you can do is always be on the lookout for trouble. Also, stay as far away from traffic as possible when not crossing the street.
If you are part of a pedestrian accident, you should always assume that you'll require immediate medical attention.
Once you call for help or ask someone to do so on your behalf, stay where you are. After an ambulance takes you to a local hospital, you'll get a better idea of your injuries and future treatment.
Finally, as you recover, learn more about the cause of the accident and how you can hold the negligent party responsible for his or her actions.