Most people realize that colliding with a large tractor-trailer is dangerous. However, it is still difficult for many to develop a clear understanding of the devastation associated with truck accidents. Unless you or someone you care about has been involved in such a collision, it is hard to grasp the amount of destruction these crashes cause.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) seeks to improve road safety for all motorists. One way it works to accomplish this goal is to share data about truck accidents. Following are some unsettling facts from IIHS about truck crashes that occurred in 2017:
- More than 4,000 people perished in large truck accidents.
- Nearly 100% of the people who died in a collision with a large truck were passengers in smaller vehicles.
- Of all recorded passenger vehicle occupant deaths, 22 percent occurred in accidents with large trucks.
- More than 50% of deaths in large truck crashes occurred on roadways other than freeways and interstates.
- Being struck on the side by a large truck accounted for about 25% of passenger vehicle fatalities.
- Head-on collisions with large trucks accounted for 31% of passenger vehicle fatalities.
While not all of the truck accidents plaguing Pennsylvania roadways involve negligence or recklessness, thorough investigations show that many of them do. Taking the appropriate legal action in the wake of a preventable collision helps increase awareness about trucking safety while providing you with financial compensation for your suffering. If you have suffered injuries or a loved one has been killed in a truck accident, an experienced attorney can review your case and aid you in making decisions about your legal options.